AMICAL is currently seeking candidates from within the consortium for three open Coordinating Committee Officer positions for the 2023–2025 term.
The elected Officers will participate in all aspects of the Coordinating Committee’s work.
The Coordinating Committee’s work & composition
The Coordinating Committee as a whole works closely with AMICAL staff to:
- develop, steer and evaluate consortial programs and initiatives, ensuring progress toward objectives that align with the consortium’s mission, vision, values and strategic goals.
- identify and pursue funding sources to develop new grant-funded goals and programs.
- provide operational and financial oversight by approving policies and directions for the consortium’s activities.
- represent the variety of member interests, both in terms of institutions, and in the professional roles and interest areas that characterize our programs.
The Coordinating Committee is composed of:
- five voting Officers, four of which are elected and the other being the Consortium Director.
- a number of non-voting advisory members: the chairs of the Standing Committees and conveners of the Interest Groups.
The current Vice-Chair will take over the Chair position in order to ensure continuity, as described in the Operational Guidelines that regulate the election process.
So three of the four elected Officer positions are currently open.
Desired characteristics for Officers
We are looking for candidates who can evaluate issues from a consortial perspective and represent interests beyond their institution and professional role.
We especially encourage candidates who:
- are in a professional role addressed by AMICAL’s programs: librarians, faculty developers, faculty, instructional designers/technologists
- have experience that cuts across the above professional roles (e.g. through direct experience working in other roles, collaboration with colleagues in other roles, etc.)
- have experience in fundraising and/or strategic planning
- have been actively involved in AMICAL events and programs over several years
Expected time commitments for Officers
Officers form the core of AMICAL’s Coordinating Committee, and their active and reliable participation is crucial for decision-making and program execution.
Officers should be willing to spend an average of at least 2-4 hours per month on committee work, including online meetings, grant application reviews, and asynchronous discussions.
We appreciate that officers volunteer their time for the benefit of the consortium, and respect the need to prioritize local work responsibilities. We understand that some officers may need to modulate their AMICAL work, offering less of their time in some months and more in others.
How can I nominate myself or someone else?
Any staff or faculty member from a FULL Member institution can be nominated. (Institutional status is noted in this list of member institutions.)
If you would like to nominate yourself or someone else, you must ask an AMICAL representative from any institution (not necessarily your own) to submit the nomination. Representatives have already received instructions about this.
Before nominating someone else, be sure to confirm with them that they are willing to stand as a candidate.
The last day for representatives to submit nominations is 21 September.
The elections will then take place between 25 September and 12 October. Results will be announced, and new terms will begin, in mid/late October.
What candidates need to do
Candidates should, in parallel with their nomination being submitted and also by 21 September:
- update their AMICAL profile
- send to email@example.com a statement of 150 words or less, which will be shared with all AMICAL members, addressing:
- why you are qualified to provide this form of leadership for AMICAL — in particular, how you fulfill the “desired characteristics” described above
- how you would contribute to the “Coordinating Committee’s work” described above
If you have any questions about nominations or the election, you can reach out to us at firstname.lastname@example.org.
The AMICAL 2023 Elections Committee:
- Ekaterina Kombarova (AMICAL Coordinating Committee Vice-Chair/Chair-Elect, American University of Central Asia)
- Maha Bali (AMICAL Coordinating Committee Chair, American University in Cairo)
- Jeff Gima (AMICAL Consortium Director, American University of Paris)
- Alex Armstrong (Program & Technology Officer, AMICAL Consortium)