The deadline for this year’s final round of Small Grants applications has now passed, and the program is temporarily closed. We’ll be revising the guidelines and then reopening the program in May under the framework of our 2018-2021 grant from the Mellon Foundation. An announcement will be made on AMICAL Connect when the program reopens and new applications may be submitted.
Eligible AMICAL member categories
The primary beneficiary institution must be an AMICAL Full or Affiliate Member.
Two broad application categories may be submitted: for a professional development activity, or for a project. The guidelines below differ in some ways according to the category.
- Normal budget range: €500 – €4,000
- Special cases:
- Less than €500: Micro-grants (see special procedures)
- Budgets exceeding €4,000 may be considered in exceptional cases:
- The activity must be convincingly argued as
- locally transformative (fundamentally new/changed services, resources, teaching practices, etc.)
- and/or having impact across multiple AMICAL institutions.
- The applicant should discuss their idea with the AMICAL Director before submitting the application, for authorization to propose an over-limit budget.
Expenses that can be covered
- Types of activity:
- Participation of individual or team in conference, workshop, training, exchange with another AMICAL institution, etc.
- Bringing external expert to campus for training, conference, etc.
- Costs that can be covered:
- Essential transportation costs (e.g. airfare, transportation to/from airport, local transportation if required for reasons of safety)
- Visa fees
- Event/course registration
- Training/consulting fees
- Hotel accommodations
- Types of project (may also be a combination of these):
- Digital scholarship
- Digital pedagogy
- Digital collections
- Library technology
- Costs that can be covered:
- Funding may be requested for any resources (software, hardware, licenses, materials, student labor, training/consulting in support of the project, etc.) that are essential to the project, with the exceptions listed under “Expenses that cannot be covered”.
- Special conditions for the purchase of specialized hardware:
- Specialized hardware may be purchased as part of a Small Grants project, but in such cases, the application should state clearly what will happen with the hardware after the conclusion of the project. In general, any such equipment should either be used for a similar local project, or donated to another AMICAL institution for a project with goals similar to the funded project.
Expenses that cannot be covered
The following restrictions are partly to ensure lean applications that will allow AMICAL to fund a greater number of projects, and partly to require at least a minimal level of cost sharing on the part of the applicant or their institution:
- Non-essential travel costs (non-economy fares, local transportation during an event, etc.)
- Hardware that is commonly provisioned across college/university campuses (e.g. computers, monitors, headsets, etc.)