Eligible AMICAL member categories
The primary beneficiary institution must be an AMICAL Full or Affiliate Member.
Two broad application categories may be submitted: for a professional development activity, or for a project. The guidelines below differ in some ways according to the category.
- Normal budget limit: €4,000
- Special cases:
- Budgets of €500 or less are reviewed as Micro-grants (see special conditions for Microgrants)
- Budgets exceeding €4,000 may be considered in exceptional cases:
- The activity must be convincingly argued as
- locally transformative (fundamentally new/changed services, resources, teaching practices, etc.)
- and/or having impact across multiple AMICAL institutions.
- The applicant should discuss their idea with the AMICAL Director before submitting the application, for authorization to propose an over-limit budget.
Expenses that can be covered
Professional development (externally organized, staff exchanges and peer training)
- Types of activity:
- Participation of individual or team in conference, workshop, training, exchange with another AMICAL institution, etc.
- Bringing external expert to campus for training, conference, etc.
- Costs that can be covered:
- Essential transportation costs (e.g. airfare, transportation to/from airport, local transportation if required for reasons of safety)
- Visa fees
- Event/course registration
- Training/consulting fees
- Hotel accommodations
Expenses that cannot be covered
The following restrictions are partly to ensure lean applications that will allow AMICAL to fund a greater number of projects, and partly to require at least a basic level of cost sharing on the part of the applicant or their institution:
- Non-essential travel costs (non-economy fares, local transportation during an event, etc.)
- Hardware that is commonly provisioned across college/university campuses (e.g. computers, monitors, headsets, etc.).