American University of Beirut
Dr. Najla Jarkas is a Senior Lecturer at the Department of English, American University of Beirut (AUB), Lebanon. She joined AUB in 2010 from Aleppo, Syria, where she served as Dean of Students Affairs and Academic Orientation at the Al-Shahba Private University (formerly known as Gulf University). From 2000-2008, she worked at the University of Sharjah (UAE) as Assistant Director of the English Intensive Program and Assistant Professor of English at the Department of English. She earned her PhD in English Literature at the University of Reading (UK) and her dissertation’s special focus was on the poetic sensibility of Walter de la Mare (1873-1956). Her recent research interests lie at the intersections of Writing Studies, Modern Literature, the Literary Fantastic, Nonsense Literature, and Digital Humanities Pedagogy. She is the principal organizer of the biennial Digital Humanities Institute Beirut, Chair of AMICAL’s Digital Liberal Arts Programs Committee, and has recently joined the International Advisory Board of the Digital Humanities Summer Institute, University of Victoria, Canada. She tweets @NajlaJarkas1 and can be reached by email at: firstname.lastname@example.org or email@example.com.
Interests: Writing Studies, Modern Literature, the Literary Fantastic, Nonsense Literature, and Digital Humanities Pedagogy.
- Aspirations and challenges for team projects in liberal arts digital scholarship: Conversations with ILiADS 2021 teams
- Training & peer support for DH and digital liberal arts projects: What’s working? What’s needed next?
- Digital tools for teaching, writing, and research: Building capacity in the Digital Humanities
- Notes from the Digital Humanities Institute — Beirut 2017
- AMICAL 2021 · Jun 21–24, 2021
- AMICAL 2020 · Jan 15, 2020–18, 2019
- AMICAL 2019 · Mar 29 – Apr 1, 2019
- AMICAL cohort to DHSI 2018 · Jun 4–15, 2018
- AMICAL 2018 · May 4–7, 2018
- AMICAL 2017 · May 17–20, 2017
- Co-design: Integrating information literacy into your disciplinary course · Mar 31 – Apr 1, 2017
- DHI-B: Digital Humanities Institute – Beirut 2017 · Mar 10–12, 2017
- Digital Pedagogy Lab Cairo: An AMICAL Institute · Mar 20–22, 2016
- AMICAL cohort to the Digital Humanities Institute - Beirut (3-5 May 2019) · 13 February 2019