American University of Beirut
Dr. Najla Jarkas is a Senior Lecturer in the Department of English at the American University of Beirut. She joined AUB in 2010 from Aleppo, Syria, where she was Dean of Students Affairs and Academic Orientation at the Al-Shahba Private University (formerly Gulf University).
She had also worked at the University of Sharjah (UAE) from 2000-2008 as Assistant Director of the English Intensive Program and Assistant Professor of English at the Department of English. She earned her PhD in English Literature at the University of Reading (UK) and her dissertation’s special focus is on the poetic sensibility of Walter de la Mare (1873-1956). Her recent research interests lie at the intersection of Writing Studies, Modern Literature, and Digital Humanities. Najla Jarkas tweets @NajlaJarkas1.
Interests: Voyant Tools, Computer-Assisted Interpretive Practices, Digital Timelines, Modern Literature, The Literary Fantastic, Nonsense Literature, and Writing Studies..
- Training & peer support for DH and digital liberal arts projects: What’s working? What’s needed next?
- Digital tools for teaching, writing, and research: Building capacity in the Digital Humanities
- Notes from the Digital Humanities Institute — Beirut 2017
- AMICAL 2020 · Jan 15, 2020–18, 2019
- AMICAL 2019 · Mar 29, 2019 – Apr 1, 2018
- AMICAL cohort to DHSI 2018 · Jun 4–15, 2018
- AMICAL 2018 · May 4–7, 2018
- AMICAL 2017 · May 17–20, 2017
- Co-design: Integrating information literacy into your disciplinary course · Mar 31 – Apr 1, 2017
- DHI-B: Digital Humanities Institute – Beirut 2017 · Mar 10–12, 2017
- Digital Pedagogy Lab Cairo: An AMICAL Institute · Mar 20–22, 2016
- AMICAL cohort to the Digital Humanities Institute - Beirut (3-5 May 2019) · 13 February 2019